2008/05/26

Information overload...



Boy is my head spinning...

A few days ago I just got back from a 5day photography workshop in Breckenridge, Colorado and I'm still trying to filter through the information. This was actually my third year attending, I get so much out of them I already signed up for next year.

This year the focus was wedding photography. While I'm happy with what I've been doing so far, I now see where I can improve. There's so much I can do that'll push me to the next level it's hard to know where to start: new equipment, new techniques, and finding an assistant.

Unfortunately it'll probably mean an increase in prices for next year, especially if I can find an assistant to work with. That alone will help push the quality of images; having someone help move equipment, assist with lighting, and help with some of the details (where one pair of eyes is good, two can be better).

The worst part about attending workshops is the feeling that you need to buy new equipment. While the instructor said "The last thing I want is for anyone to feel like they need to go out and buy more equipment," it's hard not to feel like one needs to go out and spend tens thousands of dollars on equipment. The things the newest pro cameras can produce are amazing. Having said that, there are still things I can do with my current cameras that I wouldn't be able to pull off with those new ones. Also, with more equipment, the need for the assistant seems to pop up again. And to think... I was going to try and start cutting down on the amount of equipment I carry.

Ultimately I see a chance to start producing images that no one else seems to be doing right now, at least from what I've seen. I do still have a lot to work on before I reach that point, gotta practice those new techniques and really start putting them into use.

With that here's a few images from the workshop. While I didn't get a chance to take too many images, there was one day where we each got a chance to set-up create one image. The rest of the images were created at the Sunrise Safari, where a few of us insane photographers got up and hit the road by 5am to catch the sunrise at the top of one of the passes up there. While it was a pretty cloudless day, we made the best of it. At least, unlike last year, it wasn't foggy and snowy.






No comments: