2008/07/12

You know what? Keith and I had a beautiful wedding. August 4th, 2001 - our 7-year anniversary is coming up, and we've had a pretty good run.

I was just out of grad school; he had just moved up from Denver. Both of us were in pretty crappy jobs - although mine, at a flower shop - provided the "friends and family discount" on our wedding flowers. So as a result, I had two or three thousand dollars worth of flowers for about $1100.

As a bride who didn't know any better, I thought I could skimp on a few things: we'd have the reception at my mom & dad's and do a nice spread of veggies, cold cuts, tea and lemonade, etc. We'd go camping in Estes Park for our honeymoon. We'd have my sister's psycho best friend be our wedding nazi (but THAT, my friends, is a post allllllll it's own).

We even interviewed a few photographers; but in the end, my jones for flowers won out - as well as my insistence on a Martha-esque treatment of the wedding cake. We decided to have a friend of the family do our wedding pictures.

Honest? They were okay. But they were snapshots. Underexposed, overexposed, poorly composed.

It just comes to mind now because Keith is getting ready to deliver a wedding album for Katie and Ryan, who were married in March. And I'm jealous. Their album is exquisite. Exquisite.

With the wedding snapshots we have, Keith and I can never have anything like that - and I really regret it now. I didn't think it mattered. But oh, it does. Our wedding photos say only that we were married. But they'll never tell the true story of that day.

~Erin

Shutter-Vision@bresnan.net
307-631-2719
Cheyenne, Wyoming

No comments: